Episcopal Leadership and Diocesan Partnership
In June 2017, our former bishop, the Rt. Rev. Todd Ousley resigned, accepting a call to serve on the Presiding Bishop’s staff as the Bishop for Pastoral Development. The Rt. Rev. Cate Waynick (retired, Indianapolis) served as Bishop Provisional from 2017-2019 as we underwent a period of discernment and study.
In 2018, the Diocese of Eastern Michigan voted to extend the invitation to the Diocese of Western Michigan to walk together for 3-5 years. In early 2019, the Diocese of Western Michigan responded with an enthusiastic yes!
In October 2019, the Diocese of Eastern Michigan voted to elect Western Michigan’s bishop, Whayne Hougland, to serve both dioceses concurrently as Bishop Provisional of Eastern Michigan and Bishop Diocesan of Western Michigan as part of the exploration of relationship we committed to for 3-5 years of conversation, relationship building, and deepening of cooperation.
- 9/15 – Standing Committees call for a Visiting Bishop, Invite feedback on job description – online
- 8/18 – Informational Sessions & FAQs – online
- 6/15 – Notice of suspension – online
- 10/18 – The Rt. Rev. Whayne M. Hougland, Jr. elected bishop provisional – online
- 4/13 – Western Michigan accepts the invitation to dance – online
- 4/2 – Transition Update: Bishop’s Forums end in EDWM, Decision expected by end of month – online
- 11/9 – Standing Committee delivers resolution from Western Michigan’s convention – online
- 8/17 – Updates for Convention, Invitation to Transition Gathering – online
- 6/12 – Transition Moving Forward – online
- 4/3 – Invitation to a next-steps gathering – online
- 11/7 – The diocese is invited participate in self-study process – online
- 10/20 – The Rt. Rev. Catherine Waynick is elected Bishop Provisional – online
- 9/20 – Standing Committee Nominates a Bishop Provisional – online
- 7/10 – An Update from the Standing Committee – online
- 6/6 – Bishop Gayle E. Harris (Massachusetts) preaches at Send-Off Celebration Eucharist – video
- 6/5 – Bishop Ousley’s Final Message to the Diocese – video and text
- 5/12 – Invitation to the Send-Off Celebration Eucharist with Bishop Ousley – online
- 5/3 – Update from the Standing Committee in the Diocesan Newsletter – online
- 4/12 – Bishop Ousley’s Letter to the Diocese – website or PDF
- 4/12 – The Standing Committee’s Letter to the Diocese – website or PDF