A Prayer for Our Diocese
O God, by your grace you have called us in this Diocese to a goodly fellowship of faith. Bless our clergy, and all our people. Grant that your Word may be truly preached and truly heard, your Sacraments faithfully administered and faithfully received. By your Spirit, fashion our lives according to the example of your Son, and grant that we may show the power of your love to all among whom we live; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Book of Common Prayer, 817)
Prayer for Guidance
Direct us, O Lord, in all our doings with your most gracious favor, and further us with your continual help; that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in you, we may glorify your holy Name, and finally, by your mercy, obtain everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Book of Common Prayer, 832)
Diocesan Prayer for Our Bishop Transition – For Individuals
God of all time and seasons, by whose Spirit we have life and personhood, and with whose Son we are given purpose and community:
We ask your presence and blessing on us, the people and churches of our diocese, as we recall and give thanks for what has been done, and as we look forward to what you are calling us to be and to do in the coming years;
- In this time of transition, free us to be compassionate with one another;
- Gather us together with true generosity of spirit as we work to discern your will for us, and for your Church;
- Guide us to vision with faith, hope and love;
- Equip us with the patience to seek council from all our wisdom leaders, young and old, traditional and innovative, and with the confidence to step with courage into a new future together, embracing all who follow Jesus’ call to love you and our neighbor as ourselves;
- Keep us mindful of those who come after us, and help us to build a faith community that will be a lampstand of light and a house of prayer for generations to come;
- And in all, inspire us with grateful and joyful hearts—a new song to sing—so that those who see us may know that you are our God, and we are your people;
We ask all these things in the name of Jesus who, by your Spirit and your Church, walks with us and bids us to a continually renewing life of love and service in the world. Amen.
Diocesan Prayers written by the Rev. David Vickers, Blue Water Episcopal Church.