Worship & Prayer
Worship and prayer are central to our life of faith in the Episcopal Church. This page contains resources for congregations planning for corporate worship as well as for individuals seeking resources for their own faith life.
PREPARING FOR A BISHOP VISITATION
Bishops have regular visitations with congregations on most Sundays throughout the year. Their visitation is an opportunity to connect with diocesan life and ministry and to build relationships with the whole congregation.
CYCLE OF PRAYER
Holy Week Resources
- This version of a passion narrative involves a congregational sung response throughout the three-voice reading. Although it does not directly address the problematic text, it does offer another experience of the passion narrative.
- This reflection from Dr. Amy Jill Levine recently published by Deputy News offers a helpful framing for discussions on problematic texts.
- If the Palm Sunday liturgy focuses only on the entry into Jerusalem, one could use the Palm Sunday Passion Gospel choice on Good Friday.
- A General Convention resolution from the Diocese of Washington references this scholarly article from the Roman Catholic Church that may be of use as you consider Good Friday.
- In choosing to read the assigned Good Friday Gospel, one could add an explanation of what is meant by “the Jews” in this text.
- This alternative Good Friday liturgy has been developed by leaders from the Seminary of the Southwest and Diocese of Texas. It is in the process of submission to The Episcopal Church Task Force on Liturgical and Prayer Book Revision for consideration.
Resources from Bishop Singh – March 2022
Lay people may be licensed to exercise particular ministries as part of worship in their congregation. For information about licensing, expectations for training, and the application for licenses, visit the Lay Licensing page.
Camp Chickagami, Presque Isle, MI
The All Saints, Saugatuck Retreat House, Saugatuck, MI
Emmaus Monastery, 10154 N Pine Grove Rd, Vestaburg, MI (989) 268-5494
St. Gregory’s Abbey, Three Rivers, MI
Plainsong Farm, Rockford, MI
Emrich Retreat Center, Brighton, MI
St. Francis Retreat & Conference Center, DeWitt, MI
Colombiere Conference & Retreat Center, Clarkston, MI